Strategies & Tactics
Back to Learn Chess
Things to Remember
- A knight on the rim is grim!
- Rooks belong on the open files.
- Keep your good bishops, trade off your bad bishops.
- When trading, count the defenders and the attackers.
- Tempo means time. Try to play moves that gain time. For example developing while attacking.
In the Opening
- Develop your pieces
- Control the center
- Play for the pawn center! The pawn center is mighty!
- Try to do moves that satisfy more than one goal.
- Develop with threats!
- Castle often, castle early!
- Make as few pawn moves as possible
- Do not move the same piece twice
- Do not bring your queen out early without good reason.
- Try to do moves that achieve multiple goals.
In the Middle Game
- Use of All your Weapons! Pins, Forks, Discovery Attacks
- Pressure the pinned piece.
- Always scan the board for hanging pieces!
- All combinations start with a check or a piece capture.
- Try to attack multiple targets with one move.
- Coordinate your pieces.
- When trading, count your attackers and count your defenders
- Limit the movement of your opponent’s pieces.
- Trade pieces when winning.
In the End Game
- The king’s a fighting piece!
- Once the queens come off, the king can go to the center.
- The passed pawn must be pushed
- If you don’t have a passed pawn, try to create one!
- If your opponent has a passed pawn, blockade it!
- Place your pieces in active positions.
- Keep an eye out for Back Rank Mates.